Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jamaica, Jamaica

I thought about writing you all an exciting blog entry with a daily summary of my adventures in Jamaica (just like my adventures in Bagaces, CR). However, each day can be summed up as follows:

6:45 -Wake up, apply copious amounts of SPF 45, put on wet bathing suit, long sleeve shirt and capris. Get gear ready.

7:30 -Wander to advisor's flat with Joe. Eat breakfast of dry cereal and diet coke. Proceed to boat.

8:00 -Get in water and start collecting data.

10:00 or 11:00 -Drive advisor and various other professors and/or wives and/or fiances back to shore, then return to Reef to collect more data.

1:30 -Return to shore for the day. Usually the boat trip is hurried because Joe and I are trying to avoid being electrocuted in the aluminum boat. Everyday it is raining when we return to shore.

2:00 -Spend afternoon showering, napping, watching Lost Season 1 or entering data. Occasionally are able to check email.

4:30 -Meet at advisor's flat for Beer Thirty. Drink as many Red Stripes as possible. Cook dinner for advisor, his fiance, other professor and his wife (while drinking more Red Stripe). One time, there was an explosion as the stove had broken. Fight with Joe over who gets to hide in the kitchen and wash dishes while the other is forced to converse with "grown-ups".

6:30 or 7:00 -Make excuse to head back to our dormatories.

7:00 until about midnight - Drink a lot of rum. Beat Joe at poker. Watch Lost. Drink more rum. Call my RyGuy. Laugh about advisor and his crazy fiance. Drink more rum.

Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
15 days in a row.

Luckily, neither Joe nor I ever woke up with a hangover, we collected lots of data and we made the best of being stuck on a fenced-in compound (gotta keep the raptors in somehow) with a crazy advisor and his crazier fiance and very little contact with the outside world! I have come to respect the power that Rum has to make everything alright!

Oh, and on a professional note, while we were down there, Joe & I found out that 2 of our manuscripts got accepted to (basically) the 2 best journals that we will ever publish in! More about that later!

Anyway, glad to be back! And looking forward to all of the rest of the adventures I have lined up for this summer!!

Obviously, it's me in a boat, on a boat, with some fish in a bottle. Obviously.
*********************
One of our male beaugregory damselfish!
***********************
Joe, taking data!
*************************View from my "terrace"!
I am sure I would enjoy the beauty of Jamaica more if I did not work there!

No comments: