Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Knitting for Baby

All of the knitting I have done in the past 3 months has not been posted on here because it was all gifts for Baby Katherine -- the Southern Yankee Baby that is due in just 5 short weeks!!

Now that the "Surprise by Mail Baby Shower" went off without a hitch (check out Southern Yankee's blog for pictures), I can tell you what I knit for the little one!

These two projects were my most ambitious knits ever. I know -- not very exciting, but I still consider myself a "new knitter". A mini-diaper bag and a baby blanket are big deals for this scarf-maker!

Both projects are from the original Stitch 'N Bitch book. And both projects were knit with Bernat Satin -- an acrylic yarn that has a slight shine to it! I loved the vibrant colors -- Banana for the bag and Star Dust for the blanket. The patterns for these both called for wool but I used acrylic so that the baby stuff could be washed (and what baby needs a wool blanket in Georgia?).


The first project was the "Zeeby's Bag". Basically a small bag with a little pocket inside.

It was my first attempt at putting pieces together, so it wasn't perfect, but I think it is still functional!

I also knit the famous Big Bad Baby Blanket! I LOVE IT!

Seed stitch border with alternating stockinette stitch blocks. Brilliant!

I am trying to figure out how to make a big version for everyone I know!

I hope that Baby Katherine enjoys the gifts! Just a few more weeks left!!

1 comment:

SLM said...

YOU ROCK! That is all Ic an say, your many talents amaze me and how you get it done while doing grad work....I love the bag and the blanket and they are so soft. I will be the hippest Mommy around with my "bag by Jen" :) Thanks, i really do love that they are made by you it makes it so special.