Thursday, February 26, 2009

Give it up!

Ah, Lent.

It is upon us!

While I have many issues with religion (which I won't share, because no one really cares), the idea of Lent is OK. Sacrificing for 40 days is probably something everyone could benefit from. I think the "no meat on Fridays" thing is stupid, but, overall, I think everyone should give this Lent a try!

So, you may wonder, what am I giving up for Lent?

I reflected on it all day yesterday (as it was Ash Wednesday).

Here's what I came up with:

1) BEER. While I enjoy it, I know I should not drink it so often or so much! Giving it up will save me money and calories, so all-in-all, it seems a very beneficial sacrifice (But why is St. Patty's Day always during Lent? Sigh.)

2) SLEEPING IN. As a 4th-year non-teaching grad student, my schedule is pretty flexible. As in, I have a lot of work and I usually have to work everyday, but I never have to be anywhere at any certain time. I used to be at my desk by 7am during my first two years here. Last year I started to slip towards 8 or 8:30. This year, I have even come in to work as late as 11am!! Crazy! (Not that I slept till 11am, but I did sleep till 9am, then did computer stuff for a while at home) So, I am getting back on schedule. Gym at 7:00, work by 9:00. No more sleeping in till 10am on weekend either (Sorry RY!!)!

3) LAB STRESS. I am not going to be angered or annoyed by anything at work.***


I think giving up these 3 things will make me a healthier, happier person. Decrease calories, decrease laziness, decrease stress and anger. All sound like good things to me!








*** Edited to protect my life.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I really havn't been able to figure out what to give up this year. My life has become so much about Colin now that I hesitate to give up the few 'simple pleasures' I still indulge in (like caffeine free all natural root beer..mmmm). I think instead of giving something up I'm going to make an effort to be nicer (friendly) to my neighbors. It's not that I'm mean but I generally dont' stop and say hello to people.